All Old Brighton teams play their home games at Brighton Beach Oval, South Road, Brighton.
Please note that there is NO parking available to visitors within the grounds of Brighton Beach Oval. However, there is ample parking in South Road, Beach Road and surrounding streets.
The following is an excerpt from ‘A Tribute’, our club’s history book…
“The Beach Road Oval was originally the site of the Brighton Race Track with horse racing recorded there as early as the 1840s. The course changed shape as a result of government land sales in the 1850s and roughly followed the triangle formed by South Road, the beach and New
Street (then called New Road).
Brighton was a resort town at this time with the major attractions being the Brighton Baths, Brighton Cricket team, boating, the Brighton Hotel and a seaside green for picnickers. This track was very popular because it featured publicans’ booths to quench the thirst of the often hot and sand-fly-bitten crowd. The licensee of the Brighton Hotel, T M Crosbie, had a monopoly on liquor sales at the race track until 1848 when his special permit lapsed.
After that there were eight publicans and one confectioner licensed to erect booths on the course. This amenity was a huge drawcard with a notable increase in drunkenness reported at the later race meetings.”